Steps for Relocating Records and Documents *
1. Conduct an inventory of where all of your records are currently stored. This not only includes your desk and filing cabinets, but other rooms or storage areas as well.
2. Electronic records should be included within the inventory. Ensure that all emails and electronic records are backed up and all electronic storage devices (i.e. USBs, external hard drives) are accounted for.
3. Once you have completed the inventory, identify which records you will need moved and which (if any) can stay in secondary storage.
4. Consult the Classification and Records Retention Schedule in order to separate files that you will need to keep from those which can eventually be disposed of. A copy of the Classification and Retention Schedule can be found here: https://library.cna-qatar.com/c.php?g=707867&p=5028054
5. Please do not shred or dispose of any documents without following the proper procedures.
6. For transferring files to the Archives for storage or disposal, the procedures can be found here: https://library.cna-qatar.com/c.php?g=707867&p=6204019
7. Once the relocation is completed, ensure that all records and documents have been successfully moved. Use your original inventory to ensure that all records have been moved and are undamaged.
* If the timeframe for the relocation does not allow for an inventory to be completed, or a consultation of the retention schedule, transfer all files to the new location.